This occurred in late 1855 and 1856, most of the valuable items at Fort Hall being transferred to the Flathead post in Montana. Though still occasionally used by independent furs gatherers like Johnny Grant Jr. and Jo Pattie, well into the 1860's, the old fort fell into disrepair. In 1864 the Holladay Stage Lines constructed a stage station a short distance southeast of Fort Hall with much of the material from the old fort. This post was known as Fort Hall, the name having assumed regional significance. The wider meaning is continued in the fact that the Indian Reservation established in 1868 for the Shoshone, Bannock, and Lemhi Indians was named Fort Hall, as is the town in which the agency offices are located. After J. N. Ireland of Malad moved the remnants of the fort for Ben Holladay's stage station on Spring Creek, the original site became lost except to a sprinkling of survivors of the Oregon Trail and trapping days. In the , early summer of 1906 residents along the old Oregon Trail were surprised to see a covered wagon complete in every detail-even to the oxen-plodding eastward. Guiding this outfit was white-haired and bearded 75-year-old Ezra Meeker, who had traveled the trail to Oregon in 2852. His purpose was to map the trail, point out remaining landmarks, and create an interest in reestablishing the more historic places that had been destroyed. In 1906 and 19120 Meeker was shown the "Adobes", as the remains of the stage station were known at the time. Because he questioned whether this was the original site of Fort Hall, the location was not included in the "The Oregon Trail: Story of the Lost Trail to Oregon," he wrote in 1915. Meeker's first trip created a great deal of interest and received considerable publicity.